Sunday, June 22, 2014

Call Me Hermana Esmeralda


June 16, 2014

 

Hello lovelies!

 

So, I feel like a gypsy (or like Esmeralda from Hunchback of Notre Dame). Remember how I don't really like change? Well, I think I am getting more than most. Two weeks in the MTC, change to a my first area and house, live there for four weeks, change to my second area and house, live there one week, then change to a new house! Yeah, I spent a good portion of my day today packing and cleaning and moving and cleaning the other house (clean to Elders is not the same as clean to Sisters) and unpacking. And there's still a lot to do. But it is nicer and it's safer. We changed houses because the other one was across the street from a really dark area of trees and there had been a couple instances last transfer where people had followed the sisters to try to find out where they lived, so the Mission President had us change with one of the sets of Elders in our district. We now live above a member's store and across the street from the district leader and his companion and a member family, and it’s a lot lighter, so all is well!

 

Highlights:

-A member told me that later this summer the wind is going to feel like a hair dryer. Yaaaay.

-On the way to an appointment, a member gave us a cup of fruit ... with chili on it. When I say chili, think chili powder mixed with water, and then pour it on your lovely watermelon. Then add a little lime juice. My companion (who is from Monterey, Mexico) didn't understand why it was so weird to me.

-I am the first White sister missionary in this Ward. No pressure, right?

-Speaking of my new Ward:

   *An Area Authority Seventy lives in my Ward, and his wife is so, so nice. He is too, but I talked more with his wife.

   *They like to have missionaries give impromptu talks in Sacrament Meeting. Guess what the new girl got to do. Makes me really grateful for the practice I got from that random time I had to bear my testimony in stake conference.

-I now have, like, 20 Mexican houses, because so many people say "Be comfortable, and come here with confidence. This is your home."

-Missions are weird because they make you love little silly things. Like peanut butter. We didn't have PB in my first house, but I discovered it in the fridge this week and I just couldn't stop smelling it. I looked like the biggest weirdo ever, but it was like heaven in a jar.

-While we were contacting the other day a guy pulled up on his motorbike and said to me, "You look like a movie star! I had to circle back around because you look like someone in a movie! I don't remember which one, but I swear you do!" I was so surprised (I feel like I look super icky here all the time, considering I sweat non-stop) and flustered that I didn't think to use it as an opportunity to be a missionary. I just stood there. Next time … I'll be ready next time some guy feels the need to turn around and tell me I look like someone famous. :-p

-The bishop's son found out that I'm from Colorado, and he said, "Oh, marijuana is legal there, right?" Yes; yes it is. "That explains why you're so serious and calm. " Ha. Ha.

 

My new companion is the bee’s knees. She is such a blessing I can't even say. She's super patient, dedicated, loving, and tells me all the time to not worry about things I don’t know or my little mistakes or whatnot, which I need all the time. She's from Monterey, Mexico, as I mentioned, has been out for six months, and I just love her so much.

 

Another blessing: the Mission President and his wife. I went to a training session for all the newbies and they were there to run it and teach us. At the end while we were talking, Sister Munive said "Sometimes, you don't have to speak for the other person to hear and feel your testimony. People are converted when they're touched by the Spirit, never by our words." Talk about what I need when I need it!"

 

Tough as Mexico is, blessings come from every side!

 

Love you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment