Sunday, September 7, 2014

What a Trickster


September 1, 2014

 

I can´t believe I'm saying this, but happy September everyone!!  

Sorry I didn't write a mass email last Monday. It was a Cray-Zee preparation day. But this week is much more chill! I even got to take a nap! Woo-hoo! 

Highlights:

-I have had a cough for a couple weeks. Nothing big, but combined with the heavy allergies I've been having, it's been way fun. But no worries because the ward is looking out for me! We were with some less-actives and they gave me the cure: A raw onion! Yes, I am eating it. And oddly enough, it's helped WAY more than the nasty medicine I’ve been taking for my cold. Weird.

-My companion and I are super cool and super focused. That means that on the really hot mornings when no one answers the door and there's no one in the streets to contact we do grown-up things like assign a Pokemon for everyone in our district. Judge us if you will. I have no regrets.

-I love doing service here. Usually it only consists of sweeping and mopping, but I don't care. This week we gave (ok, kind of forced, we just started doing it, because we knew she needed it. Her husband is recovering from cancer, and she's taking care of him at home after four months in the hospital) service to a woman who we are teaching, and it was really intense sweeping (I just said it was intense to sweep, what is my life?). When I say that I mean there was a ton of dirt, spider webs, old bottles, spiders, some unknown animal droppings, and the very strong odor of cat. We were sweating like crazy, but I felt super great. Helping someone in a way that they need and aren't expecting … it's really, really cool.

-This gospel changes people. Isaac is our 11-year-old investigator who is going to be baptized in less than two weeks and he is really different from when we started teaching him. He used to be a terror in the neighborhood – ding-dong-ditching and tearing signs off of storefronts among the least of it. But this kid is beyond excited for his baptism and it shows. He is inviting the whole neighborhood to the Family Home Evenings that we have with members, he had his grandparents buy him dress clothes to wear to church, and he always wants to come to lessons with us. And also he helped us, voluntarily, with the service to the other investigator. It's really incredible the change in just over a month. 

-So, it's stopped raining. And it's hot again. Really, really hot. That means that our wonderful AC unit can no longer cool our entire apartment. Just the bedroom. When the door is closed. Autumn is going to be super different here, I think. Maybe October will be nice....

-September 16th is the 4th of July for Mexico, and people and stores have already started to decorate. This nation knows how to party under normal circumstances; I can't wait to see what they do when they've got a national holiday to work with.

-We had transfers this week! All missionaries in my ward stayed the same! But I'm actually really happy about that because we get along with the elders and nobody flirts with anybody. It's perfect. Plus they're all really wonderful people and missionaries. And I get to keep working with the wonderful and oh-so-cute Sister Mendez!!!! Huzzah!!

http://mail.outdrs.net/Download.aspx?fid=699053&MsgID=B0141932509.MSG&ID=1071161

That also means that these four dorks are going to be working together for another six weeks. 

 

OK, about the trickster title. For the past few weeks I've felt like I need to get ready to train – focusing on who I need to be and what I need to do to be ready. So I've thought about it a lot and made lists and such about stuff to ask to get to know a trainee in a constructive way and to know how to help her feel comfortable in the field. Well, last Friday Hna Medez and I were called to go to a special training. A training for Trainers. And after that I had an interview with the mission president and he straight up asked me, "How do you feel about the fact that the Lord has called you to train?" So, here I am, all ready to be a first-time mother (in mission culture, we call our first companions our 'moms' so that was a joke. Don't go starting rumors, por favor) and we get our transfers from the district leader, and like I said we're all the same! I dunno what happened, but all I know is that Heavenly Father's got this. He knows what I need, and He knows what each one of the 24 brand new missionaries who arrived today need. But I'm still convinced that sometimes He also likes to play little jokes on us. Hopefully that's not blasphemy ... if I'm struck by lightning this week, you all know why. 

Love you tons!

Hermana Anderson

 

No comments:

Post a Comment