Sunday, August 3, 2014

Guess Who Forgot a Title Last Week. This Hna. Sorry.


(Editor’s note: Dallyn did not include a title with her last blog entry. Rather than publish it title-less, I named it based on a statement from her first paragraph.)

Hello everyone!

Happy Monday! Let's just jump right in!

 

Highlights:

-We have a new district leader, Elder Bloxham. In his self-introduction in our District Meeting he said, "I would prefer it if you called me by my proper title: King of the District." This transfer is going to be really fun. Also, he's from Saint George but tells people he's from Sweden. I can now finally keep a straight face when he tells people that.

-When going through our ward list, I saw that we have someone named Baltazar in our ward. If you haven't seen Arthur and the Incredibles, please do so now. It's cheesy and ridiculous, but it has David Bowie in it so it's OK.

-It's hilarious to watch a 70-something-year-old woman and an 80-somethng-year-old man call each other crazy and make fun of each other. No, not a brother and sister; they're married.

-I am now the only missionary in the ward that is not CRAZY about Coca-Cola. One out of four.

-Happy Birthday to the mission! It was created one year ago this month! Woo!

-Presidente Munive told me today that there are three more elders in the mission than sisters. Our takeover is eminent...dun dun dun!

-People keep telling me I look like the girl from The Fault in Our Stars. Guess what I wish I had read/watched before I left. Guess what is on my list of things to do when I get home.

-Advice about being a missionary: don't zone out. Even if your investigator talks about nothing. I zoned out this week and the conversation somehow went from baptism to the heart of Christ being in a church tower in Guadalajara. And it took like 15 seconds to get there.

-Missions are funny things because I think things like, "Well, it's Preparation Day, so normally I'd just wear a t-shirt, but since I'm eating with the mission president today I guess I'll add a scarf.

-I had my first Mexican hot dog. Where the hot dog usually goes was a grilled chili wrapped in bacon and smothered in like four different sauces. The hot dog itself was in one of the sauces, cut into little pieces. So. Good. So not healthy.

-The funniest thing I saw all week was three guys dressed super-cowboy: boots, hats, felt shirts … the works. But one was on a motorcycle and the other two were in a square-ish sidecar. Oh how I wished I wasn't in a lesson so that I could laugh hysterically like I wanted to.

-I got to paint! That's pretty much a rite of passage here, so I am OFFICIALLY a missionary. No ifs, ands, or buts about it. I'll send pictures next week because this computer is old and won't let me.

-I saw an angelfish that looked like a punk. It was white and black and straight-up looked like it had a mohawk and an attitude.

OK. Hermana Mendez. She's awesome. The more we work together, the better it gets. I've already learned a lot, and every day I see more and more why we are working together here and now. One reason is that we're both really organized and dedicated. Our Area Book is a mess and needs lots of dedicated organization to get it all better. Also, our list of members is not accurate. For example, one ward member has an address somewhere in Utah. True story. We said, "Well, since we aren't blessed to have a car, I guess we won't be visiting this member, because it's a little far to walk." I think we're funny.

 

At long last I can say I love my mission. It sure isn’t easy, and sometimes it just plain stinks, but I've gotten to the point where, yes, I love it. And the people. And the food. And I’m used to sweating so the heat is just whatever at this point. But I am so glad that I'm here.

Till next week! Love you all!

Hermana Anderson

No comments:

Post a Comment